Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm finished!...


Well I just finished up the last block for my Paper Doll Quilt.....


A swimming suit with groovy sunglasses...remember those? My sisters and I used to think we were pretty cool when we wore these all summer long.
We would cool off on a hot summer day by running through the sprinklers...we would make our own slip and slide with giant trash bags!...which by the way didn't make our Dad very happy...

When we were finished with our Saturday morning chores...my Mom would give us a dime each. We would walk or ride bikes down to the Mercantile which just happened to be owned by my Grandma.



Grandma would give us a bottle of pop out of the machine...and I would usually choose Orange Crush. We would pick up the little brown paper sacks for candy....and try to get the best deal for our dime....there was no tax on a dime so we could spend the whole thing on candy!
We could buy a candy bar for a nickel...and several pieces of penny candy or 3 for a penny candy. We chose what we thought would last the longest like jawbreakers and tootsie pops. I always chose sixlets and red licorice too....these are still my favorite candy of choice.
Some things never change...!


I will be teaching this block on Tuesday at Material Girls and it's the second to the last class. For August class we will be putting the quilt together and doing the pieced border....the pattern will be available for purchase at the end of August....and then I am finished with my Applique Clubs for a while...I've got some other things on my design schedule for a while...

post signature

19 comments:

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

I can't wait to see the entire quilt all together! Every time I get to see a little bit of it I am just in love with it *grin*.

I remember riding my bike with my girlfriend not to far from my house with just a handful of dimes and getting to fill those little brown bags up with what seemed like TONS of penny candy :) Such fun.

Have a wonderful week!

DianeM said...

Such a happy quilt! Filled with happy memories. We used to ride our bikes to "Gunther's" to get our fill of penny candy. I remember when blow-pops first came out - they cost a nickle & Gunther's couldn't keep them in stock! Have a sweet day :)
Smiles, DianeM

Sherry said...

Oh, the days of penny candy. This block is adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Thimbleanna said...

SO cute Lori! What a fun idea this quilt is -- I love all the great memories associated with it!

Anonymous said...

Two things....1. This is adorable, but I already told you that. :) I am looking forward to the pattern. 2. I LOVE MY PINCUSHION!!! Will be posting soon. We have had company since Thursday and have been busy with shopping, swimming, eating (too much) and going to music shows. Watch for my post....I adore the extra little surprise so much! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Darlene said...

You already know how much I love this quilt and I'm anxious to get the pattern. :-) This final block is delightful, Lori. Oh, I remember Sixlets (yum) and I enjoyed Dots, too (the ones on the long paper strip). LOL I want to make this quilt so badly, Lori. Your talent is amazing. I'd love to meet you someday and just chat with you about your designs.

Rae Ann said...

Every block just keeps getting better and better! I love everything about this quilt, especially this block. LOVE... LOVE... LOVE it! The sixlets crack me up! Oh... and the sunglasses! Too cute... every stinkin bit!

Kim Walus said...

Super...Super...Cute! I love this block and I still love sixlets too!! What great memories...

Elizabeth said...

Paper Doll is so cute! This block is great. I totally did all those things when I was a kid. Can't wait for the pattern to come out!

xo -E

Holly said...

I can't tell you how excited I am to get this pattern. You have captured so many memories for me!!!

My grandma also owned a "dime store". It was called Davis Variety and was located in a little town called Wilbur. I would do a little work (fun) for her in the store in exchange for a little money and unlimited candy! What a dream!!! Candy bars, candy cigarettes (shameful!), gold nugget gum, and chicko sticks!!

This quilt is so adorable and your work is amazing!!!! Sign me up!!

Nedra said...

The sunglasses are the cutest ever. And I remember most of that penny candy. What a fun block. This has been such a wonderful quilt, and a great tribute to 2 very cute girls.

Cardygirl said...

Just gorgeous...we all remember those sunglasses!

Jodi Nelson said...

You've done it again! LOVE the last block. Eat Cake is on my list to do next week. We'll see if it actually happens. I have so many projects on my list it's pathetic. ;o)

Dawn said...

What a fun process! I can't wait to see it all together. Ohhh the good ole days!

Sandra Henderson said...

Just adorable! We use to get penny candy also... Thanks for the memories. You never disappoint.
Oh, I'm having a giveaway for a great book on the island if you have time to come by and enter. It's the best history book there is on this area. :)

busyascanbe said...

What a cute block...as always! And so fun to relate to penny candy.We used to ride our bikes for what seemed like forever to get to the little store by the church because they always had the most suckers with the stars...remember if you got a sucker with a star by the indian boy you got a free sucker...we saved them forever because no one ever knew where to turn them in...LOL

Nanette Merrill said...

It really is darling. Those sunglasses gave me a hoot. And penny candy! The love of my life. We had a little store 6 houses down from us. MR. Shoemacher used to let us go behind the counter to choose what we wanted. Oh how I loved that. I started on Mt. Dew when I was about 10. Yahoo. It is goooo oood. Remember that?
ha

Linda said...

That is an adorable block Lori! Love the swimsuit - I would totally wear that NOW! Give me a call - I have had a crazy week...

StampingBetty said...

LOve iT!

Related Posts with Thumbnails